Among Europe's most future oriented fleets
Utkilen invests more than 125 million euros in green technology. Earlier this year, the shipping company signed a contract for four new advanced chemical tankers that will be delivered from the beginning of 2024. In addition, four of the existing fleet's newest and most modern ships will become even more eco-friendly when they are prepared for LNG fuel during 2022/23.
– We have owners who invest long-term. In a time of great uncertainty in relation to to future green technology, we choose to make large investments that will considerably reduce our carbon footprint already in 2022, says Siri-Anne Mjåtvedt, CEO of Utkilen.
– There is currently a lot of talk about hydrogen and ammonia, but for us, who transport chemicals primarily in Northern Europe, this technology is not ready yet. We choose to focus on accessible, eco- friendly, and flexible technology. Half of our core fleet will be able to use LNG and biogas (LGB) when the newbuildings are delivered, Mjåtvedt continues.
The four new ships are being built in Turkey and will be delivered from the beginning of 2024. The ships will have state-of-the-art multifuel engines, optimal hull shape and can be facilitated for battery and shore power connections, thus be able to carry out port stays completely emission-free. A great deal of the equipment on board the new ships will be delivered by Norwegian suppliers. In recent years, there has only been a small inflow of new chemical tankers in short sea shipping in Northern Europe.
Gives the customers the opportunity to reduce their footprints
– Utkilen chooses to use expensive but eco-friendly technology also because this is important for our customers. Most of the ships in Utkilen's fleet are built after our own specification and design, in good quality to be able to operate for almost 30 years. We believe this is a sustainable solution. We are continuously working to reduce the energy consumption of existing ships, as well as building new ships with eco-friendly technology, Mjåtvedt says.
– Biogas is available in our trade area. With LNG propulsion, we can give our customers the opportunity to reduce the footprint of their cargo by choosing to mix biogas into the fuel. We also hope that the customers now will follow up with facilitating shore power connection in the ports, so that together we can make our red-painted ships even greener, she concludes.
Facts about the new ships
- Shipyard: Icdas, Turkey
- Size: 6.700 dwt
- Propulsion machinery: Multifuel: LNG / gas oil as of today, while further use of methanol and ammonia is being tested
- Equipment suppliers: Framo, Wärtsilä, Høglund, Scanjet, Air Products and several others
- Delivery from the beginning of 2024
Contact: CEO Siri-Anne Mjåtvedt, phone: +47 993 09 168, e-mail: email@example.com
Utkilen AS is a fully integrated shipping company with headquarters in Bergen, Norway. The company was founded in 1967 and owns and operates 22 chemical tankers ranging from around 6,000 to 20,000 dwt. in size, primarily in our core market in Northern-Europe. Utkilen is one of the major seaway transporting companies of chemicals and other bulk liquid cargoes in Northern Europe. Four modern 20,000 dwt. stainless steel vessels built in 2018 and 2019 is operating in global trade through our Stream brand.
- M/T Bergstraum – engine incident (November 14, 2022)
- Utkilen has been awarded EcoVadis Gold medal in recognition of its sustainability achievements! (July 7, 2022)
- Among Europe's most future oriented fleets (June 9, 2022)
- Utkilen Sustainability Report 2021 (May 13, 2022)
- M/T Straum – Covid-19 (May 22, 2021)
- M/T Finnstraum – Covid-19 - Update (December 24, 2020)
- M/T Finnstraum – Covid-19 (December 23, 2020)
- M/T Sydstraum delivered (August 6, 2020)
- New vessel - M/T Saltstraum (June 3, 2020)
- M/T Vikstraum delivered (October 13, 2019)
- Fleet renewal – M/T Mostraum delivered (June 27, 2019)
- Stream Pacific delivered (June 18, 2019)
- The third Stream newbuilding delivered (June 15, 2019)
- Stream Atlantic delivered (January 9, 2019)
- Delivery of newbuilding (February 22, 2018)
- Utkilen places orders for advanced Eco-design ice-class chemical tankers (January 31, 2017)
- Acquisition of a 8.400 dwt. advanced chemical tanker (July 16, 2015)
- Acquisition of a 6.000 dwt. advanced chemical tanker (February 3, 2015)
- Stream Tankers sells ten chemical tankers to BW Tankers (May 20, 2014)
- Stream Tankers AS increases its order to five advanced eco-design chemical tankers (February 24, 2014)
- Stream Tankers AS delares options for two additional advanced eco-design chemical tankers (January 23, 2014)